I feel a little like I am sitting at a crossroads right now.
Like it is time to go big or go home.
Like change is needed. In many areas.
Like my interest and passions should be explored and delved into.
Like I need to take better care of myself.
The rental we are living in is on the market so we are house hunting. I am taking this time to de-clutter and I want to really downsize our things.
For many reasons.
- The clutter and amount of stuff in our home weighs heavily on me. It stresses me out and is wasteful. I think my children would have more respect for things if they actually had a little less.
- Although I come from a background of parents who kept things. I don't need to keep everything. My mum loves old things and has collections. My dad is amazing at fixing things and has many hobbies and collections he likes to work on now and again. I also love vintage things, I love dabbling in hobbies, but I am craving a simpler life. That is OK. It is MY path.
- The cost of heating this home is impossibly high and we still don't do it. I moved in here thinking how nice it would be to have this space, we have now filled the space with stuff. BUT also it costs more to live in. A smaller home would be cheaper to heat and save us money. I just need to downsize our things enough to downsize our house size.
- It is wasteful to have all this stuff we don't need, use or appreciate. SO.MUCH.CLUTTER.
- Environmentally I crave a greener lifestyle. Living with less is a good start.
- I want to encourage hobbies that expand our minds and creative selves. I think having less junky stuff around us will simplify our home and leave a home that inspires us, With things around us that make us want to be creative.
- And a big one. I am sick of cleaning up so much stuff every day. SO.MUCH.STUFF.
So I am slowly going through things and really asking myself...
- Do I use this?
- Do I love this?
- Do I NEED this?
Often the answer is no.
Sometimes the answer is yes.
Sometimes its a maybe.
But my theory is also that if we downsize some NOW. Then some again when we actually move we will be in a good place. I kind of have it in my head i would like to get rid of at least 25% of our things.
Of course I cannot actually know how much of our stuff that is... but its a kind of ballpark goal.
So that is mission, time for change number ONE. Downsize, and green up.
I am the kind of parent who often sits back and looks at how things are going.
Where I am doing well. Where I need to find new pathways.
At the moment I am struggling with little man and little miss. They both need such different things from me. My approach to them both has to be so different. I need to sit back and really figure out what they need from me and come up with simple easy ideas to get them more of that. I can't be everything to everybody, but surely I can figure this one out. I have a few parenting books that have been on my bookshelf for a while. I think I need to read them and give myself some new perspective.
Little man needs some discipline plans put into place as he is making some bad choices often. I need to nip these in the bud and teach him better ways quick smart. Although it isn't as simple as some people make out, he is an interesting character and I know from experience how you approach things with him makes a big difference with the results. PLUS, it is just plain not as black and white as some make out. I understand there are so many different views on parenting etc. I just need to keep putting my best foot forward and aiming for my best... Right?
Little miss. She needs more of me I think. I need to find common ground and just connect with her more. We talk, and play. We spend time together. I just think we need to spend some more real connecting time together.
Big man is ten. He just needs me to be more talkative with him. He likes to talk to me. A LOT. I treasure this and know I need to enjoy it while it lasts. But sometimes I want quiet. I think I need to maybe set aside some sort of code that means I am taking a ten minute talking break. Then step back into it and enjoy this while it lasts.
I also need to keep working on reducing the amount of TV being watched and video games that are being played. I have nothing against them. But I know it is getting to be too much. I know as they get older this will be more of a struggle but if I pull the reins in more now I will have a better chance of keeping on top of things as they get older.
I will go against that very statement and be honest and say they all want a small tablet or a new game for their birthdays. They will probably get those things. But they also know they come with the same rules and restrictions. I also think the small tablets they are looking at will be a good learning tool as well. As long as I keep tabs on things.
I also need to make it clear what is expected of the kids each day. They are starting to forget to do the basic things I ask of them. So a bit of a family meeting might be needed.
SO. Parenting needs some readjusting. Mission number TWO
House hold rules and technology usage needs readjusting. Mission THREE
Then it is onto me.
But I think that can wait til another day.
I have babbled enough for today.