Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Booklove - Some YA fiction books I have enjoyed recently

This past week two kiwi bloggers (Angela from striking keys and Stella from The golden adventures of a very dark horse) I follow have shared a post on YA fiction. Books they recommend. I have added many of those books to my "to read" shelf on goodreads (which is massive. I need to read more) so I thought maybe I could share a list of my recent favs from the YA genre. I hope they don't mind me joining in. I will share non YA books later in the week.



(This book right here might be my favourite so far this year. I just plain LOVED it. LOVED IT LOVED IT. Yes it needed caps)
I have since read her books attachments and fangirl and really enjoyed them also. 

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.







(I read this one recently and found it really interesting. As someone who struggled with mental health issues I always find books based around depression and other mental health issues to be really interesting.)

Like many ambitious New York City teenagers, Craig Gilner sees entry into Manhattan’s Executive Pre-Professional High School as the ticket to his future. Determined to succeed at life—which means getting into the right high school to get into the right college to get the right job—Craig studies night and day to ace the entrance exam, and does.  That’s when things start to get crazy.
At his new school, Craig realizes that he isn't brilliant compared to the other kids; he’s just average, and maybe not even that. He soon sees his once-perfect future crumbling away. The stress becomes unbearable and Craig stops eating and sleeping—until, one night, he nearly kills himself. 
Craig’s suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio.  There, isolated from the crushing pressures of school and friends, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.
Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness. For a novel about depression, it’s definitely a funny story.






(This series was suggested to me by a teacher at my kids school. It was a series of novellas at first but is not released into several books. I LOVED the series. But was a little disappointed with the ending. It didn't tie this ups nicely IMO. But still a very fantastic read.)

They live beneath the earth in a prison of their own making. There is a view of the outside world, a spoiled and rotten world, their forefathers left behind. But this view fades over time, ruined by the toxic airs that kill any who brave them.
So they leave it to the criminals, those who break the rules, and who are sent to cleaning. Why do they do it, these people condemned to death? Sheriff Holston has always wondered. Now he is about to find out.





“It still amazes me how little we really knew. . . . Maybe everything that happened to me and my family had nothing at all to do with the slowing. It’s possible, I guess. But I doubt it. I doubt it very much.”
Luminous, haunting, unforgettable, The Age of Miracles is a stunning fiction debut by a superb new writer, a story about coming of age during extraordinary times, about people going on with their lives in an era of profound uncertainty.
On a seemingly ordinary Saturday in a California suburb, 11-year-old Julia and her family awake to discover, along with the rest of the world, that the rotation of the earth has suddenly begun to slow. The days and nights grow longer and longer, gravity is affected, the environment is thrown into disarray. Yet as she struggles to navigate an ever-shifting landscape, Julia is also coping with the normal disasters of everyday life--the fissures in her parents’ marriage, the loss of old friends, the hopeful anguish of first love, the bizarre behavior of her grandfather who, convinced of a government conspiracy, spends his days obsessively cataloging his possessions. As Julia adjusts to the new normal, the slowing inexorably continues.
With spare, graceful prose and the emotional wisdom of a born storyteller, Karen Thompson Walker has created a singular narrator in Julia, a resilient and insightful young girl, and a moving portrait of family life set against the backdrop of an utterly altered world.




The fault in our stars - John Green

(This book right here had my reading with tears streaming down my face. I felt like this book haunted me for a bit. I just loved it. The story is sad but also so powerful. After reading this I read every one of John Greens books. This one is my total fav but I will list a couple of others I really enjoyed also).

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

 Also try

Looking for Alaska - HERE
Papertowns - HERE




2 comments:

Stella R said...

Thank you for joining in! I have been wondering about a couple of those titles, but if you reckon they're good then will have to try them x

Angela Noelle of SK said...

I LOVE that you posted these! LOVE IT! And thank you for recommending these books! What a champ!